Saturday, September 29, 2012

Inner Shifts


Growing up I was taught that the word conversion referred to a one-time event in a person's life, a moment of personal commitment that resulted in total spiritual transformation. (Others who, like me, grew up in conservative Christian homes will certainly know what I am talking about.) However my own experience has been of not one but many transforming moments in life and this has led me to understand conversion in a different way. I have come to think of it as something that happens - and should happen - many times in our lives. In fact it must happen many times if we are to be truly alive and growing human beings.

I define conversion as a fundamental shift that takes place deep within us, at the very core of who we are, during moments of particularly deep insight in our lives. These are shifts that mean that from that moment forward something fundamental has changed in our understanding, commitments and/or priorities; in a significant (although perhaps subtle) sense we have become a new person. This may take place in a conversation, watching a movie, reading a book, in a time of personal crisis, in a moment of religious inspiration, during a walk in nature, in a near-death experience, in a moment of silent reflection or meditation, or in any number of other situations or settings. Some conversions result in dramatic change, leading one, for example, to take an entirely new direction in life. Others are hardly perceptible, except that over time one's life takes on a particular, recognizable direction and tone, the cumulative effect of those numerous moments of slight but nonetheless fundamental inner shifts that shape us.

I am interested in knowing if this narrative fits with your experience. Have you had experiences that created or led to a fundamental change in direction, value, priority for you? Can you see the cumulative impact of subtle shifts that have come to shape significantly who you are today? Your comments or personal sharings are welcomed.

In my next post I will write about an experience that was one of the more dramatic conversion moments in my life. It resulted in a fundamental change in my understanding of the world and led to the formation of values and priorities that continue to inform who I am at the deepest levels to this very day.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought of it until now, but I have been going through an apprenticeship in conversion. As you know, David, I work on an organic farm. Farming is a peculiar vocation, in that it is not really a job, but more a lifestyle, yet it involves a lot of technical information. In past careers, I learned what I needed to, without being too close to the experiences. That isn't possible with farming, and I'm learning from co-workers how to let it be a personal experience. For instance, the difference between saying, "We should spread fertilizer today", and "I want to spread fertilizer today." The first is a statement whose outcome I'm detached from. The second is a statement of both what I think we should do, and caring about whether or not we do it. That has gone against my constitution, but it is what's called for, and I'm being converted to actually be a farmer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put Andrew. In my case, a perspective that had been made uneasy and remained so for years shifted dramatically within a space of a few minutes. What you are sharing is the realization that a change in who you experience yourself to be is taking place through a series of gentle (and maybe at times not so gentle) nudges that have happened over the last few years. It really is fascinating to suddenly realize that we are experiencing the world and living our lives out of a new sense of who we are and of what is important. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Donna Marcantonio10/28/2012 2:35 PM

    This is my understanding of conversion too, David. It is good to hear you speak of it in reference to the common concept with which folks grow up. I feel the downside of such a concept is that we miss developing the mindset of constant renewal - death and rebirth - and gain the belief that we should just get there and things will be okay. This flawed thinking underlies the American Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Donna. "death and rebirth" is a very helpful image in reflecting on conversion.

    ReplyDelete