Sunday, February 15, 2015

Reaching for Liberation – Part 1: “Growing Up Evangelical”

This is the first of six posts, in which I draw on an article by liberation theologian, Ignacio Ellacuria, to reflect on and seek to re-frame the connected themes of sin, Jesus' death, and salvation.
----------------------------------------

“On July 12, 1957, at the age of four and a half years, I, David Crump, accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior and was saved.”

In my family and in the evangelical-fundamentalist faith context in which I grew up, being able to pinpoint the date and time of this rite of passage was absolutely necessary and expected. As quoted above, it was even written down for the record.

The process followed a predictable pattern. Hearing and accepting the fact that one is a sinner and that as such one is destined for the frightening fires of an eternal hell, the invitation would be made – sometimes almost demanded - to say a simple prayer: “Jesus, I recognize and confess that I am a sinner destined for death and hell. I also recognize and believe that you died for my sin. I ask you to forgive and cleanse me and come into my life. Save me Lord! From this day forward I commit myself to live for you.”

Anyone who openly gave voice to this affirmation was deemed “saved.” In other words, they were no longer bound for hell but were guaranteed a blissful and eternal life with God in heaven. In the brand of evangelicalism in which I grew up, this guarantee was irrevocable: “Once saved, always saved” was the by-word. And so, in my fourth year, after hearing a sermon and invitation at a church camp and having heard this message since the time that I had suckled at my mother's breast, to my parents delight I responded, made my confession, and was saved!

During my early college years, at a Bible College, I would learn that within the Protestant and later evangelical-fundamentalist traditions various understandings developed to explain how this “salvation” works. All of these approaches hold some basic themes in common. First is the view that all human beings are irrevocably contaminated by sin. Secondly, is the understanding that a holy God cannot tolerate sin and so sinful human beings, although part of God's creation, cannot be accepted by God without some kind of intervention. Finally, it is believed that the intervention must be divine. Only God can fix this problem, and that is where Jesus comes in. Jesus comes to earth as “God in human form.” As such he can be the solution, and the solution comes in his death.

This is where the various theological viewpoints diverge. There are different understandings of how Jesus' death functions as an intervention to overcome human sin and thus bring about a re-alignment with God and the guarantee of heaven, i.e. salvation. One view, drawing on the Jewish understanding of sacrifice, holds that although all of us as human beings deserve to die in our sinfulness and separation from God, Jesus (like a sacrificial lamb) died in our place. Another view takes a more economic perspective. It suggests that as sinners, human beings although originally created by God, because of sin they no longer belong to God. In order for them to be returned to their rightful owner, a price must be paid and that price is the voluntary death of God's Son, Jesus. Yet another view holds that because of their sinfulness, human beings must be punished in order for God to forgive and accept them. According to this approach Jesus, in his death, takes the punishment in the place of humankind and transfers to humankind the resulting forgiveness and acceptance.

These approaches all share the belief that Jesus came to earth with the foreknowledge and primary purpose of dying, as the divinely demanded intervention on behalf of humankind. Also characteristic of the evangelical-fundamentalist faith in which I grew up was the insistence that human beings in some sense individually, personally, accept what has been done for them in Jesus' death in order to gain its benefits.
------------------------------------------

In the next post we will explore how for me, this whole construction has become problematic.

No comments:

Post a Comment