Saturday, September 16, 2017

I MAKE MY STAND . . . WITH THE MARGINALIZED

I MAKE MY STAND: A PERSONAL MANIFESTO AND CALL TO ACTION

Following are links to the earlier posts in this series:

I MAKE MY STAND . . . WITH THE MARGINALIZED

By “marginalized,” I mean those who are treated as somehow less within our communities and our societies.  Persons who, because of the color of their skin, their place of origin, their religion, their different-abledness, their gender or their gender identity or choice are discriminated against, given less space, denied place and rights, mistreated, made victims.  In my view people are not marginal because of who they are but are made marginal by the structure and systems and customary behaviors at work within cultures and societies.  

Again, my faith is a source here.  The God in whom I believe expresses a particular and unique care for the poor, the victims, the ones cast aside by society.  Latin American liberation theology speaks of God's “preferential option” for those on the margins.  And so, I make my stand. In particular, at this time in history, I want to state clearly that I stand with my sisters and brothers in the LGBTQ community. I envision and commit my life and energy to joining with others in creating a world where the artificial and superficial barriers that we create between us as human beings no longer exist, a world in which we recognize and invite and accept and treat every person as we would want to be treated ourselves.



There is an ancient Sanskrit word, which expresses this beautifully:  Namaste.  It literally means, "I bow to you" (see http://www.patheos.com/blogs/whitehindu/2015/05/what-does-namaste-really-mean/), a symbol of respect for the other.  In India, where this expression is common practice, it may be spoken or simply expressed by placing the hands together at the heart or at the forehead, and offering a slight bow toward the other person. The deeper sense of this word and gesture reflect a profound valuing and respect for all human persons – ourselves and the other.  Namaste: “The divine or Spirit in me, bows to the divine or Spirit within you” – a recognition that we all share in a single essence.  Or, as another writer has put it: “The place of light, of truth, of love, of peace in me bows to the place of light, of truth, of love, of peace in you” (See ttp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Namaste).  

And so I MAKE MY STAND to be a part of whatever it takes for our world to one day be a place where all human relationships are guided by this kind of deep respect and honoring of one another, a world in which there will no longer be any persons marginalized. NAMASTE.

No comments:

Post a Comment