Saturday, September 23, 2017

I MAKE MY STAND WITH PEOPLES OF ALL FAITHS AND THOSE WHO CLAIM NO FAITH

I MAKE MY STAND: A PERSONAL MANIFESTO AND CALL TO ACTION

Following are links to the earlier posts in this series:
I MAKE MY STAND WITH PEOPLE OF ALL FAITHS 
AND THOSE WHO CLAIM NO FAITH
I am a Christian.  My religious understanding and my sense of the Sacred are rooted in the Christian scriptures and heritage, and framed by my personal upbringing, experience and choice.  Nevertheless, I do not believe that Christianity holds exclusive claim to the divine and to the right and the good.[1]  In fact, I believe that history makes it clear that many times Christians have gotten it wrong, that the Christian church has actually been on the wrong side of history.  At the same time, I affirm that many times Christians have also gotten it right.  This is especially true, in my view, of the prophets and prophetic movements.  One such movement that has been of particular influence for me has been the Christian liberation movement in Latin America.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer in Germany, Martin Luther King here in the U.S., Monseigneur Oscar Romero of El Salvador (I recommend the movie "Romero") are just three modern day prophets I would point to, who I believe were on the correct side of history.  

However I do not believe that a positive vision, Truth, and action are exclusive to Christians.  Rather, I believe that the very best of all faith traditions call us as the human community to be sisters and brothers to each other and to lead in building a world in which justice, equality and peace reign.  My own spirituality has been deepened through participation in Native American sweat ceremonies with Sioux and Omaha brothers and sisters, and in Winnebago Native American Church meetings.[2]

In our current context, I want to be explicit:  I make my stand with Muslim sisters and brothers. There have been and still are radical Christian extremists – here in the USA, I might add, as well as elsewhere - just as there are radical Muslim extremists, and extremists within other faith traditions as well. However, I do not consider these to be expressions of true faith.  I also know and consider fellow travelers those who are committed to creating a better world who claim no faith tradition, but live simply the good that I believe is at the core of every human being. And so I make my stand in community with all human beings who live the audacious belief that we can create a better world,  one where all people are truly respected, treated justly, and loved.



[1] John Hick and Paul F. Knitter, editors, The Myth of Christian Uniqueness: Toward a Pluralistic Theology of Religions (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1987).
[2] Appreciation to my brother Darren Snake and his father Ruben Snake who invited me and introduced me to the Native American Church way.



No comments:

Post a Comment