Saturday, September 30, 2017

Taking a Knee: A Reflection on Patriotism

First, a little background.  In the last week or so here in the U.S., the news and social media have been filled with comments on the controversy regarding athletes who are choosing to “take a knee” during the playing of the National Anthem (NA) before games. The conversation heated up when the President, #45, took to twitter to call players who take a knee SOBs, and to instruct coaches and team owners to fire these players. In response, entire teams, including coaches and owners, have taken a knee together, stood with locked arms, or stayed in the locker room during the playing of the NA.  Some of the vocalists who have sung the NA at games have taken a knee either before or after their rendition, and artists and actors have also, in various other settings taken a knee.  Before singing at the Global Citizen Fest in New York, Stevie Wonder took a knee “for America,” but then he knelt on both knees, “in prayer for our planet, our future, our leaders of the world and our globe. Amen," he said.

Those taking a knee have explained that they are doing so to protest against police killings of African American men and women, or in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.  Those opposing claim that this action represents a disrespect for the flag and the country or, put another way, it represents a lack of patriotism.

United States Code, 36 U.S.C. § 301 gives precise instruction as to the proper comportment during a rendition of the NA, including standing at attention, men to remove their hats, everyone with hand over heart, members of the military saluting, etc.  However, the code does not attach any particular meaning to these acts. They are, evidently, simply rote acts to be obeyed.

So, patriotism!  According to the Cambridge Dictionary of the English Language, patriotism is defined as a feeling.  It is “a feeling of loving your country more than any others and being proud of it.”  I find it interesting that it is a feeling about one’s own country over against other countries.  A couple of synonyms are “nationalism” and “nativism.”  In other words, a feeling or belief that my country is better than any others and that if faced with a threat I will defend my own over all others.

A dimension of patriotism often expressed in the United States is the claim that to find fault with the U.S. is to be un-patriotic.  In some cases, even to raise questions or concerns about particular policies is considered being un-patriotic. And so, to voice that perhaps the tragic events of September 11, 2001 were retaliation for U.S. policy in the Middle East, or to suggest in present circumstances that the U.S. may be guilty of war crimes because of the military support provided to the Saudis, knowing that they are bombing hospitals, killing civilians, and creating a humanitarian crisis of major proportions in Yemen – these kinds of comments are seen by some as a failure to be patriotic.  Similarly, to demonstrate against the continued killing of black men and women by police in this country, by taking a knee during the national anthem, is viewed as offensive, a lack of respect for the nation and its flag, a lack of patriotism.

However, my question is: what is true patriotism?  Is it to express loyalty to one’s nation no matter what?  Is any critique of one’s own country a failure in patriotism?  Is it to follow the motto of “love is blind?” If our country’s actions or demands fly in the face of the values we hold, are we to swallow those values, obediently salute the flag, and remain silent?  Is that what patriotism requires?

To be honest, for two different reasons I have never been comfortable with the NA ritual of standing at attention and placing hand over heart and its attachment to patriotism. I find it especially offensive when exptected within religious settings.  I remember once taking a group of youth to a Christian rock concert.  The final song of the night, an upbeat Christian anthem, suddenly segued into the opening measures of the Star Spangled Banner - and everyone stood and took the proper patriotic pose. The implication was that our love and loyalty for Christ, as Christians, was on the same level and comparable to our love and loyalty to country.  In fact, what was being suggested was that being Christian and American were inseparable.  I was outraged by the expectation that I would go along with this premise, an idolatry of nation!  In fact, for me, allegiance to faith and country are completely separate.  And, if my country acts in ways that counter my faith values or demands of me to act in ways that go against my faith, I will stand on the side of faith over against country – and, if necessary, suffer the consequences. I am a person of faith first.

I am also uncomfortable with the NA ritual and its connection to patriotism because I really do not feel or believe that the country of my citizenship is better than other countries.  There are things about this country I am proud of, and there are things about this country that I am ashamed of, and there are things about this country that I am furious about. Similarly, there are things about other countries that I admire, things that I will openly question, and things that I find abhorrent. Sort of a related thing – I am not inclined to think of myself primarily as “American” or as a United States-er (estadunidense – as they say in Latin America). Rather, I identify as a citizen, a patriot if you will, of the world, a member of the human race.  No national boundaries necessary!  Who my sisters and brothers are and who I will stand with and defend has nothing to do with national identity or race.

On the other hand, if patriotism is about love and loyalty to country, I would say that true love and true loyalty is not blind, but holds accountable what it cares about deeply.  And so, if I understand that one of the greatest ideals of the United States is our commitment to democratic principles but I see our government undermining democracy in other places – like our support for the overthrow of the elected governments of Honduras and of Brazil in recent years, or undermining democracy here at home – for example, with the dismantling of voter rights laws, then the most loving, loyal, truly patriotic thing I can do is to critique and seek in every way possible to oppose the actions of my country, demanding of it that it live up to the best of itself, its ideals.  Or similarly, if I see our nation’s commitment to “liberty and justice for all” to be one of its highest principles, but I see our national government denying liberty and justice to Native Americans – as in the Dakota Access Pipeline, or in the indiscriminate rounding up and deportation of immigrants, or in seeking to take away health coverage from millions of citizens, then true love and loyalty for my country will call me to question, and oppose, and if necessary demonstrate against – take a knee, if you will – to do all I can to challenge and gain leverage to require that my country live fully into its ideals.


For this reason, in my view, taking a knee can be a demonstration of deep respect and loyalty to country, a demonstration of true citizenship and patriotism.

No comments:

Post a Comment